As of my blog entry auto-update-background-list-for-xfdesktop I used to tell how I update my background with a uniq file in the background list. That worked with a shell script that 1) took as argument an image file 2) updated the background list 3) and reloaded xfdesktop.
I updated that script and put it in my git (git.m8t.mine.nu). It can now take a remote file as argument. That combined with the web browser Epiphany, you can apply a background within the browser.
Download that script and make it executable inside your $PATH.
Now run Epiphany with the extensions then:
- go to Tools > Extension... and enable the Actions extension
- After the Actions are enabled go to Edit > Actions
- Press Add and create an action called "Update xfdesktop background"
- And set the command to "set-xfdesktop-image.sh"
- Check Images in the Applies to
- Click Add.
Now go to my wallpapers gallery, choose a wallpaper (click on it to get the fullsize), and right click it. You can apply it by choosing the item "Update xfdesktop background" in the context menu.
Have fun with my hack around xfdesktop,